In which I speak of myself in third person…
In addition to writing Young Adult Contemporary Fiction, Beth Fehlbaum is a high school English-Language Arts teacher who frequently draws on her experience as an educator to write her books. She has a B.A. in English, Minor in Secondary Education, and an M.Ed. in Reading.
Beth is a featured author on the 2015-2016 Spirit of Texas Reading List- High School for the Kirkus Starred Reviewed Big Fat Disaster (Merit Press/F+W Media, March 2014) and The Patience Trilogy (Courage, Hope, & Truth) (Steady On Books, April 2016).
Beth is a member of the RAINN (Rape , Abuse, Incest National Network) Speakers’ Bureau. She has a following in the young adult literature world and also among survivors of sexual abuse because of her work with victims’ advocacy groups.
She has been the keynote speaker at the National Crime Victims’ Week Commemoration Ceremony at the Hall of State in Dallas, Texas and a presenter for Greater Texas Community Partners, where she addressed a group of social workers and foster children on the subject of “Hope.”
Beth is in-demand as a panelist, having presented/appeared at the Texas Library Association Annual Conference, the American Library Association’s annual conference, YALSA, and N.C.T.E./ALAN. She is a member of The Author’s Guild.
Beth is a survivor of a traumatic childhood, like Ashley in The Patience Trilogy, and the day-to-day manager of an eating disorder much like Colby’s in Big Fat Disaster. These life experiences give her a unique perspective, and she writes her characters’ stories in a way meant to inspire hope.
Beth lives with her family in the woods of East Texas.
10 Random Things About Me:
- I’m an animal lover.
- I advocate for children and abuse victims, sometimes quite fiercely.
- I sometimes snort when I laugh.
- I have NO sense of direction.
- The wildlife around my house are all chubby because I feed them a steady diet of sunflower seeds and Meow Mix.
- I support my local National Public Radio (NPR) station, and it’s about all I listen to in the car except for…
- The Avett Brothers & lots of Alternative Folk…
- I am a self-professed Grammar Nazi and have even gone so far as to mark out unneeded apostrophes on signs in public.
- I’m a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and I began writing The Patience Trilogy when I was still in therapy. I wrote all 3 books over the time I was in treatment.
- I have Binge Eating Disorder and I drew on a lot of my own experiences to write Colby’s story in Big Fat Disaster.